Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Millions of stars

Post 80 Maui’s experience

In 1986 I boarded the Aloha aircraft and took a 25-minute flight from Honolulu to the island of Maui where Polynesians were the original peoples to populate it. Maui is a part of the state of Hawaii. While looking out of the room window from a friend’s house at night, I was pleasantly surprised at the sight of millions of stars in the clear sky. It was surreal; resembling a dream. Industrialisation has deprived city dwellers of their pleasure in gazing at stars twinkling.

I had hardly slept for a few hours when my friend woke me up at 4.00am to travel by car to the top of Haleakala National Park. Watching the sun rise there, and seeing the orange-red craters and purple valleys were an awe-inspiring experience. One does not always have the privilege of seeing the clear night sky and stars being overtaken by the sun that lights up the sky and earth.

On our way back from the Haleakala a 10,000 foot volcano, there was a group of bicycle riders who were ready to coast downhill on the same winding road as the cars and vans. I thought biking down the volcano was a dangerous activity. However, there are always enthusiasts who would brave the odds as challenges and for excitement.

When I see stars, I think of my Maui’s experience.

1 February 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment