Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Don't cry for me Argentina!

Post 79 Let’s Tango!

Back in 1996 I attended a conference in Buenos Aires and stayed in the Capital of Argentina for ten days. It took me more than 24 hours to reach there from Kuala Lumpur, with a stopover at Johannesburg, South Africa.

I was crossing the street one day when I realized that it took me a long time to cover half the street. I turned back to count the number of lanes on the road in curiosity. After counting twice, I was amazed that there were ten lanes on half the street. I counted the other half of the street and found that I had to cross another ten lanes to reach the other side. One really needs to be fit to cross the 20 lanes of traffic on foot safely. I vividly remember that it is Avenida 9 de Julio, the widest street in the world.

Most visitors to Argentina never miss going for the Tango Shows. I went to watch the show on two occasions paying USD50 for each show cum dinner. The elegant tango dancers could really perform tango in its essence accompanied by the great tango orchestra in a beautiful and romantic theater room.

To watch the best-known song from the musical Evita, "Don't Cry for Me Argentina", being sung and acted as the show’s grand finale in Buenos Aires was the highlight of a memorable evening for me.

25 January 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment