Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Atlanta

Post 83 ”I have a dream”

Atlanta is the capital and most populous city in the state of Georgia, USA. It was also the venue of the 1996 Summer Olympics. While having a short stay there, I visited the Martin Luther King, Jr., National Historic Site; the Carter Center, and the Cable News Network (CNN) headquarters at the CNN Center in Atlanta. However, I missed visiting the headquarters of Coca-Cola Company in Atlanta to have a taste of its different global beverages.

In this post I am not writing about the song "I Have a Dream" by Swedish pop group ABBA. The song was one of the top hits in 1979, and which I still hum along occasionally after 30 years of its airing.

I am referring to the dream of Martin Luther King, Jr. His "I Have a Dream" is a seventeen-minute public speech. It was delivered on August 28, 1963 and ranked the top American speech of the 20th century. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s call for racial equality and an end to discrimination was a defining moment of the American Civil Rights Movement. He said in his speech that all men are created equal.

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."

22 February 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment