Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Aloha Spirit

Post 82 Hang loose

Each time I was in Honolulu I bought myself a T-shirt with the shaka sign. Altogether I have collected five of them. The shaka sign is a popular greeting gesture often associated with Hawaii. It consists of extending the thumb and smallest finger while keeping the three middle fingers curled. The shaka also means "hang loose", conveying the harmonious “Aloha Spirit” of the multi-ethnic cultures in Hawaii. It can also mean “keep cool”, “hello”, “goodbye” “all right” or “take care”.

First time tourists to Honolulu will very soon be familiar with the ABC Stores started by the Japanese in Waikiki in 1964. It has changed its name to ABC in 2009. The chain of ABC convenience stores is found mainly along the one-mile radius of Waikiki. As I walked along the Kalakaua Avenue in Waikiki, I would go into ABC to purchase boxes of my favourite Macadamia nuts, for my relatives and friends back home as well.

When I watched the surfers displaying their skills at Waikiki beach, they reminded me of the” Hawaii Five-O” TV-series. The beach at Waikiki is known for its long rolling break, making it ideal for boarding and surfing.

It is in Hawaii that one experiences the essence of the Aloha Spirit.

15 February 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment