Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Goose and I

Post 22 What is good for the goose is good for the gander
When I was a little boy I was scared to go near the geese which were reared by my neighbour in the little town where I lived. The gaggle would charge at me sending me running for my life. I later learned that snakes are afraid of geese. Apparently the goose droppings would cause the body of snakes to rot leading to their death.

My other encounter with the goose was when I visited Hong Kong as an adult. I was brought to a restaurant famous for its delicious roast goose drumstick. It is interesting to note that the left roasted goose drumstick tastes better than that of the right one. I was told that when a goose sleeps, it stands on its left leg thereby toning up its muscles.

In school I learned that a male goose is a gander and the young of a goose is called a gosling. ‘What is good for the goose is good for the gander’ means that in a society, both males and females ought to be treated and rewarded the same way, using the same standard.
There is another similar proverb which is used in a general context, ‘What’s sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.’ It means that if one person is allowed to behave in a certain way, then so is the other. There is no exception to the rule for anyone.
If what is good for the goose is good for the gander, then what is bad for the gander is also bad for the goose. This rule applies to all people.

1 December 2009

1 comment:

  1. My closest experience with 'goose' nowadays is when I am cold or experience strong emotions, I will have 'goose pimples' or 'goose bumps'!

    ReplyDelete