Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Why?

Post 101 Why not?

I was asked to say some words of wisdom after giving a talk to a group of thirty graduates. I told them I have some to tell them, if I must.

“Do what you are interested in and good at, and excel in it. When others ask you why, tell them politely why not?”

When we are too concerned about the opinion of others, we lose our designated direction. There is a need for the nurturing of our critical thinking and the ability to make our own decision. All men are born equal but no two persons are alike. Hence it is wise for us to concentrate on only one career in our life and do it well. We know our own strengths, inertia and aptitude. Others do not.

A medical graduate told me in the 1970s that he was not interested to be a doctor. The logical question to be asked was why then did he take up the course? “I did it because my father wanted me to”, he said. He then enrolled for another course in literature. We met up 30 years later and I came to know that he did his medical practice three days a week. He spent more time now travelling with his writing and drawing. He knows what he wants in life.

As a rolling stone gathers no moss, do one great thing which we have a passion for. One is a greenhorn when one is young but becomes an authority in one’s field of study when one is experienced.

I feel good living my own life.

12 July 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment