Tuesday, June 28, 2011

No heavy school bag

Post 99 It is fun going to school

When I was in the primary school in the 1950s, I had very few textbooks and homework. My siblings and I spent our afternoon in outdoor activities. We slept at 8.30 pm.

The school life of my two grandchildren staying in Southampton, United Kingdom is even more fun. While on vacation to see them, I asked my grandson who is going to be 11 years old to show me his school textbooks. He told me there was none. Learning takes place in a virtual environment coupled with hands-on activities.

His school bag had only one homework notebook to record the assignments to be done within a stipulated time during which he had to do research from the internet. His assignment was to be handwritten. When he took leave from school to be with me for one week, he said he could email his homework to his teacher.

Digital resources are used as teaching aids and pupils are taught to do presentations through power-points. He reads and writes; represents his school in drama, cricket, relay team for a running event, long jump; plays the guitar and the keyboard, and could swim 2500m without a break. He too slept at 8.30 pm.

What a truly holistic education in nurturing pupils to have joy, self-confidence and be healthy and innovative!

28 June 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment