Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Retirement

Post 142 A new dimension in life. I have retired for 10 years. Before my retirement I was controlled by time: woke up early to beat the traffic jam and be on time for work, kept to work schedules, rushed for meetings, and hurried for appointments. Everything was done under the control of time. Very often I could feel my blood pressures rising and temper flaring due to frustration for being late. For me, and I believe for many retirees, there is a new dimension in life on retirement. I do not really need to look at the clock or my watch often as I did when I was working. I am no more in control by time and I do what I want to at my own leisure. It is good to feel that I am in control of my life and am no more dictated by official routine works. There was an article which caught my attention when the writer wrote that he knew of two professors at the same university who became reclusive on retirement. He had difficulty tracing their whereabouts. When the writer finally came face to face with one of them in a park, he was only given a ‘Hi’ greeting by his long lost friend who then walked away quickly. I too have a friend who has chosen to lead a life of voluntary seclusion from friends and social activities on retirement. He has chosen to keep away from his old friends and be an island. That is his new dimension in life. There are people who may not subscribe to the reclusive lifestyle of these retirees, but their choice ought to be respected. It will be unbearable when others should tell us how to spend our remaining years. Life takes on a new dimension at sun set. – Quote by Ho Nee Yong 8 May 2012 (No post on 1 May 2012- Labour Day)

No comments:

Post a Comment