Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Schooling can be fun

Post 117 Be active in co-curricular activities

When I was in primary school in the 1950s, I was carefree and enjoyed my schooling.There was not much homework because I finished it during school hours.Tuition was alien to me and my classmates.

When I happened to meet up with my friend at a house party recently, I casually asked his grandson, a primary three pupil, whether he liked to go to school. He told me school would be fun if there was no homework. If given a chance, he would have preferred to stay at home and play. As a retired educationist, I believe that pupils should be active in school co-curricular activities to make schooling more interesting. They will turn out to be of better character than 'bookworms'.

What is more important is that the relationship between teachers and pupils and among classmates will also be enhanced through co-curricular activities. The traditional practice of teachers cancelling outdoor activities to give way to revision for tests and examinations on learning subjects ought to be discouraged.

8 November 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment