Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Silly talks

Post 68 A fool telling about his dream

Sun Yun of the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911) wrote in his 'Random Talks' the following amusing story:

A rich family had a dull-witted son. One morning when he got out of his bed, with eyes still heavy with sleep, he saw a maid who had gone into the room to look for something. He then caught hold of her hand and asked, “Did you see me in your dream last night?” The maid was puzzled at his question and answered, “No, I didn’t.”

He was very angry and retorted at her, “I am very sure that I saw you in my dream. How dare you tell me such a lie?” He then rushed to his mother and, holding on to the hem of her mother’s coat, yelled, “The maid must be punished. I definitely saw her in my dream, and yet she denied it. She has the intention to cheat on her master. This is ridiculous!”

In reality there are many people in the society who are like the foolish son talking nonsense. They promise their followers the earth or the moon in order to get what they want, but often fail to keep those promises.

2 November 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment