Tuesday, August 25, 2009

In children there is no guile


Post 8 Children speak their minds

Children have sweet and guileless nature and they are not deceitful or cunning. It is a joy talking to them because they are naïve and call a spade a spade. Generally children do not twist and turn their words nor add inflammatory details to a story.

A kindergarten teacher asked those who had stayed in a hotel before to put up their hands. A boy quickly raised his hand and proudly said that he had stayed in a hotel near his house. When asked why the need to stay in a hotel so near the house, the boy said, “You see my father quarrelled with my mother that night. After that my father asked me to pack my clothes and follow him to…”

A friend of mine was born two years before the Japanese occupation in the then Malaya (now Malaysia) in the 1940s. Life during the three-and-a-half years of the Japanese rule was tough and food was scarce. Many people had to live on wild roots and sweet potatoes. One day my friend related to his two pre-school children, who were enjoying their fried chicken at an eating outlet, how difficult life was when he was a boy. When the children heard that their father had to eat rice served only with sauce at times, they said with one voice, “Daddy, don’t bluff.”

My five-year-old granddaughter saw her mother reading a book and wanted to have a look at it. When told that the book was written by her grandfather, she asked to have a look at it and excitedly flipped through the book before commenting, “Is this book written by grandpa? It is not grandpa’s handwriting! How does he know how to spell so many words?”

Children indeed speak their minds and do not mince their words. They are unpretentious.


25 August 2009

3 comments:

  1. A group of Sunday School children were asked 'How many of you want to go to Heaven?'All except Susan put up their hands. The teacher asked 'Why?' 'Mummy said I must go home after this.' was Susan's reply.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good one, Jin Neoh. Thanks for the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When my granddaughter was about 3 years old, her nursery teacher commented that she was pretty. My granddaughter responded by saying "I know. I am gorgeous!"

    ReplyDelete